17 July 2007

I just knew I'd be (statistically similar-looking to someone) famous some day!

I'm staffing a college student retreat this weekend and will teaching again this fall, and so (having been off-campus for a few solid months this summer) I've been trying to put myself back in those shoes again --back in the mindset of the traditionally college-aged student.

The shoes still fit, even if the pants don't any longer, and I got to thinking about what I expected from leadership retreats in my day. (I know I didn't expect email/web, much less Wi-fi, didn't have cell phones, and all our music came on cassettes and CDs, to be played in bulky boom-boxes or Walkmen.)

Nostalgia and a few cups of hot tea later (guess what else I didn't expect on college retreat?!), I actually looked through some old, scanned photos, and --long story short-- ended up doing celebrity look-a-like comparisons on the web....

Verisimilitude
Of the various ages I tried, I thought this one yield the most interesting results:



That's me on the left, in my professional "Area Director" photo for the opening of the residence halls in the fall of 1998 --my first full time job, post-Master's degree.

The celebs honored enough to have ME come up when they load their photos include, from top-bottom and left-right, IN DESCENDING ORDER OF SIMILARITY:
1 . Terence Howard (72% match)
2. Tom Cruise
3. Sophie Marceau
4. Adrien Brody
5. Jet Li
6. Hugh Grant
7. Camilla Parker-Bowles
-- Dermot Mulroney (not pictured)
8. Gael Garcia Bernal (at just under 60% match)


While generally pleased at the selections and their multiculturalism, I must say Ms Parker-Bowles was a bit of surprise. (Damn cups of tea!)

Other notables dopplegangers from various age-comparisons: (Turkish singer) Tarkan, actress Selma Blair, Jodie Sweetin (!!!), footballer Michael Owen, (New Zealand Prime Minister) Helen Clark, Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell, actor James Spader, singer Avril Lavinge and unlabel-able Mandy Moore.

Sadly, the "South Park me" (my profile pic) was "not recognized" as a having face by the MyHeritage software.

While I'm reliving my youth (or at least trying to keep up with theirs), take a gander and let me know who's living your 15 minutes for you...